Recently named the “hottest neighborhood in America” by Redfin’s Annual List of Hottest Neighborhoods, one could say Ukrainian Village is on fire. Overall tranquility, and proximity to the city’s business and entertainment centers makes Ukrainian Village an ideal place for family living while providing all the perks of an urban lifestyle. Ukrainian Village is bordered by Division and Chicago to the north and south, and Western and Damen to the west and east.
This West Town neighborhood was named after the Ukrainian immigrants who came to the area in the early 1900s. Historically a working class neighborhood, many of the early residents were employed to build the mansions of their wealthy neighbors in Wicker Park. However the architecture of Ukrainian Village is no less impressive. Ukrainian heritage is evident in the neighborhood’s landmark churches, particularly the Holy Trinity Orthodox Cathedral, St. Nicholas Cathedral, and the Ss. Volodymyr and Olha Ukrainian Catholic Church.
- The median household income in Ukrainian Village is about 48% higher than that of Chicago (based on 2013 data).
- About 36% of all households are family households. (based on 2013 data).
- Savor a taste of the old country at the annual Ukrainian Village Fest, a street celebration featuring potato pancakes, borsch, pierogies, kabobs, and blintzes! There will also be beer and live music.
- The Ukrainian Village District was designated a Chicago Landmark in 2002. It encompasses the oldest residential area of the neighborhood, which began development in the 1880s.
- Other significant landmarks in the neighborhood include the Ukrainian Cultural Center and the Ukrainian National Museum.
- Chicago Arts High School
- Chopin Elementary
- Columbus Elementary
- Clemente High School
- De Diego Elementary
- Erie Elementary
- Mitchell Elementary School
Real Estate Options
The pride of Ukrainian Village is its landmarked 19th century red brick row houses and workers’ cottages. Splendid and wonderfully preserved brick detached homes and flats line the leafy streets of Ukrainian Village and give the neighborhood its historic charm.
Because of the landmark status of many houses in Ukrainian Village, developers have gutted the interiors of some larger homes and turned them into condos, while preserving the exterior.
There’s also a number of newly constructed single-family homes, townhouses and condos in the neighborhood. Built mostly with brick and stone exteriors to conform with the neighborhood’s historic vibe, they feature modern amenities such as open floor plans, high ceilings, vented fireplaces, sliding doors and energy-efficient installations.
WEST TOWN PROPERTY VALUES
Dining, Nightlife, and Shopping
Ukrainian Village may be a little quieter than Wicker Park but it still has a lot of very cool spots to check out. Here are a few favorites:
Ukrainian Village Homes for Sale, Condos for Sale, Apartments and Rentals
Sorry we are experiencing system issues. Please try again.